[Local-chapters] Arbitration of conflicts

Julio Costa juliocostaz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 19:33:45 GMT 2010

I am sorry I accidentally pressed the Send button in my last message
and it tooked me a long time to finish this second message (the bloody
iPhone spanish automatic spell checking).

I was starting to write about our terrestrial frontiers with
Argentina, and our most hot topic, the Maritime Boundary with Peru.

The chilean position (supported by treaties from 1952 and 1954, and
the practice of sea control in that area for the last 120 years) is
that the maritime boundary follows the parallel (straight east to west
line). But the Peruvian government presented a claim to the
International Court of Justice (ICJ) last year, arguing that the
boundary should be a diagonal line (in their own words, "not defined
yet").

Last November someone draw that diagonal line, but since he/she did
not deleted the parallel line (that I draw back in September), I
decided to respect his/her line (at least till the ICJ makes his final
decission on the Peruvian claim). In December 22 this user (Ivanovici)
erased the "chilean" line, and I obviously undo that edit using
Potlatchs history feature that same day.

In late January I had a meeting with Chiles Ministry of Foreign
Affairs Department of Frontiers and Boundaries, and among other topics
of discussion, they made a formal claim about that boundary (I think
mostly because the OSMF and CloudMade mapnik renders still showed only
the peruvian claim at most zoom levels).

Since that meeting I started thinking about how to solved this (any
way to block edition on specific ways or nodes?). The renders did not
updated and this week I decided to apply a reciprocity policy deleting
the diagonal line (the minute I did that all except one zoom level of
the OSMF render started showing the parallel line again, I have no
explanation for that), at least till the ICJ says different.

If there is a common oppinion on how to solve this disputes (avoiding
an edit war), I will like to hear about it.

Cheers,

Julio Costa