[Local-chapters] Editable Servers

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 11:31:07 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Jaak Laineste <jaak at nutiteq.com> wrote:

> > Good point. It's the same with ODbL section 4.7a and section 3 of the new
> > contributor terms. OSMF cannot put any restrictions on how anyone uses
> the
> > data under the terms of the license.
>
>  Right. I actually cannot see how you can set any extra restrictions to
> local chapters on things what anyone else can do anyway. If I as LC am not
> allowed do something, then I can always do it as a private person, or a
> company. So if there is ban on editable servers, then the rule should be in
> general terms of use, or not there at all.

Of course, anyone is allowed to clone the database and make it editable in
respect of the license. But he cannot say it's the OpenStreetMap database. I
think it is a good point to say somehwere that local chapters can use the
name "OpenStreetMap" but cannot claim that "they are" an OpenStreetMap
dataset when it is a forked project. Probably the wording can be improved.

Pieren