[Local-chapters] My (very incomplete) summary of the "OpenStreetMap chapters and OSM Foundation meet up" at SotM 2018 in Milano

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 11:19:41 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I would suggest we all share what we are doing on github per chapter:

https://github.com/osmfoundation/lcwg/issues/3

About your two points, my personal views on this, getting people to be
involved beyond mapping:

This is still one the most difficult issues we face, there is no obvious
solution but we have some things that sort of work. Some of this was also
in our SOTM talk.

It helps to make sure people identify with being a member of the chapter,
in our case being a member of OSM Belgium needs to be a positive thing, OSM
needs to be fun! It encourages people to contribute to the organization and
not only the map. We also discuss in the open almost everything we do (and
plan) leading to involvement of the core group as to why for example we are
setting up a local chapter, why we are welcoming all new mappers. The
welcoming for example started with pokémon go and people getting annoyed
with new mappers making mistakes or vandalizing, we turned this into
welcoming everyone doing their first edit and checking their work, there
was an incentive to create this workflow & tools.

In my experience, making a decision in the OSM belgium board like 'we need
to welcome all new mappers' and then expecting someone to do this is not
realistic. When making the decision together that this is the way forward,
the changes of someone picking this up is higher. It also makes things more
sustainable because some feels ownership about what they did.

Other things that work is explicitly invite people to do stuff. We invited
Jonathan to be on our board, we invite people to help with mapathons. Some
people won't step forward on their own so easily as others do, and that's
fine but try to figure out who wants to do more and where there is capacity
to do so.

Another thing is that we think the only way to actually complete and update
the map is to get more core mappers. If you get people to understand that
they are also more willing to contribute. Mapping is thé best thing you can
do, but some people can do one better and get 5 other people to also map.

What also helps is valuing (as in give attention and encouragement to) all
kings of contributions, not just coding or mapping. For example someone
doing workshops on OSM or talking to partner organizations is also very
very valuable. Same for someone doing the boring admin stuff. You will end
up with a proper team with diverse skills, exactly what you need.

On funding, we have just started on this but we are looking at a two key
areas:

- Companies sponsoring: We have a few heavy users in Belgium and government
is also a potential source. We have made and proved our case before that a
good OSM map benefits everyone.
- Donations from individuals: This is already happening but informally, we
want to formalize this.
- Crowdfunding for specific projects: We can use this when we want to do
specific projects, let's say something where we map all cycling paths or
walking networks.

We don't ask for a membership fee but we defined membership as a
responsibility to OSM Belgium. This means you need to do *something* or
your membership will expire unless you explicitly say you want to stay in.
Think voting for the board, coming to meetups... we are still working on
refining this. Everyone should be able to become a member and a membership
fee stops some people before they can get to know us better.

I think this is what we should be sharing more and let's do that via this
list or by documenting what we do with a focus on community building in the
github repo.

Cheers,
Ben