[Mapcss] Strings and Keywords

Mon Jul 19 14:37:54 BST 2010

Kom?pa wrote:

> I think that we should drop this magic from spec. If user wants to
> match all the =yes, =true & =1, it's up to him to write that in
> stylesheet.

A different way of thinking about it:

The CSS spec is pretty rigid. It says "thou shalt do this, this and this".

Unfortunately the web is not perfect; it's pretty broken. Pages use
all manner of dodgy CSS to request particular behaviours, largely
because of the pernicious influence of A Certain Web Browser. ;) For
example, Safari is a standards-compliant browser, but in certain
circumstances will emulate IE behaviour in order to make pages render
how the consumer expects them.

OSM data is similar. It's broken in quite a lot of ways, and
yes/true/1 is one of them.

So we could have a rigid MapCSS spec that says "no magick". However,
renderer authors would be at liberty to add their own "magick" to cope
with imperfections in the data, just as browser authors have done. I
think that I'd include yes/true/1 magick in Halcyon/P2, but that
doesn't confer any obligation on anyone else to do so.

cheers
Richard