[Mapcss] Proposal: Drop css's ugly colour specifications

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 12:21:35 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can see the argument for not specifying the values as floats – css doesn't allow it.  The reason I chose floats was that for beginners (and potentially cartographers too) it's much more natural to think in terms of percentages or fractions of 1, than to think in terms of fractions of 255.  Using 0 to 255 feels to me like we're leaking implementation details and exposing something programmers are familiar with to cartographers.

If switch from base-16 to base-10, wouldn't 0-100 be a nicer range
than 0-1? But seriously...do we really want to be inventing a colour
format?

> A random aside: when we come to using 10 or 12 bit colour, what happens to using 0-255?  Floats support this naturally.

Do you think it's likely? I was actually thinking that 8 bit was
overkill, but then I'm thinking of a Flash editor. Maybe for beautiful
wall prints it does matter.

Ok, actually that leads to a more compelling argument: the #abcdef
format does sort of trap MapCSS within the website world, whereas it
has every right to be used for print maps that have never seen a
browser. (But then, allowing both #abcdef and rgb(35.672,99.99,0)
achieves that...)

Steve