[Mapcss] Kothic JS - a full-featured JavaScript map rendering engine using HTML5 Canvas

Alex Zolotarev alex at mapswithme.com
Wed Jul 6 16:03:02 BST 2011

Hi Paul,

Have you finished your perl script which translates existing Mapnik styles to MapCSS?

With best regards,
Alex Zolotarev

Komяpa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Glad to announce the first release of Kothic JS map rendering engine.
>
> There's live demo on
http://kothic.org/js/

Very impressing - looks superb!

> Main features are:
>
>  * Pure javascript - no closed-source proprietary components like
> Silverlight or Flash;
>
>  * Crossbrowser and cross-platform - works wherever you've got
> JavaScript and Canvas;
>
>  * Rendering quality is superb and is on par with server-side
> renderers like Mapnik;
>
>  * MapCSS support - reuse your stylesheet in other renderer, like
> Mapnik
> (using komap preprocessor)

Interesting, I didn't know komap before. Currently I'm writing a perl script to translate Mapnik xml to
MapCSS; it's like 50% done.

> , Halcyon or JOSM.
>  * BSD license.
>
> GitHub repo:
https://github.com/kothic/kothic-js
 (contributions welcome!)

> Core contributors:
> Darafei Praliaskouski (me=Komzpa, RDC ScanEx)
> Vladimir Agafonkin (Mourner, CloudMade)
> Maksim Gurtovenko (Miroff)
>
> PS: June 10th, it's my birthday :3

Congrats!