[Mapcss] MapCSS 0.2 finalization - zoom levels

Tue May 1 14:59:37 BST 2012

On 01/05/2012 14:47, Paul Hartmann wrote:
> In my opinion, it should be the same in MapCSS and the definition of the
> zoom selector should be based on map scale rather than on the projected
> coordinates in the Mercator projection.

My long-term intention for the zoom selector was that "z" would not be
the only way of specifying a zoom level, but that we could also have "s"
for a standard ratio scale.

So:

|z14-18        # "900913" zooms 14-18
|s25000-50000  # 1:25k to 1:50k

I think we absolutely need to keep the z selector as it is. Otherwise,
there is no way to work out what features to include in a simplified
database for small-scale rendering, bearing in mind that 900913 maps
represent 90% of the webmaps in use today. But offering an alternative
for those who want it makes sense to me.

cheers
Richard