[Mapcss] MapCSS 0.2 finalization - zoom levels

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Fri May 4 14:00:09 BST 2012

2012/5/1 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
> On 01/05/2012 14:47, Paul Hartmann wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion, it should be the same in MapCSS and the definition of the
>> zoom selector should be based on map scale rather than on the projected
>> coordinates in the Mercator projection.

Here we come to usual problem:
 - those who came from traditional maps think in scales;
 - those who came from web-GIS think in zoom levels.

There's no useful "scale" in EPSG:3857 - it changes depending on
latitude. So it is possible that renderer has to mix styles for
different scales in one screen.

If you're using a different projection, and it's majorly different
from EPSG:3857, you have no "default" tiles grid.

Do we have any real application now that uses not EPSG:3857 aka
Spherical Mercator for rendering?

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/