[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 10:04:48 UTC 2013

Hi!

Lately I've been working on a rather complex MapCSS style for JOSM
[1]. It heavily uses some new functionalities implemented in JOSM a
short time ago, e.g. the functions split, get and regexp_test. Those
made my life a lot easier and I'm very thankful for their
implementation.
But now I'm curious how MapCSS will further develop. If each MapCSS
renderer implements extensions on its own I'm afraid it will lead to
JOSM-MapCSS, Halcyon-MapCSS, Potlatch-MapCSS, ... and we will end up
with a lot of incompatible style sheets. This reminds me of the
internet just a few years ago and (I think I can speak for the
majority here) we definitively don't want to go back there.

Don't get me wrong: I'm very, very thankful for the improvements in
JOSM and I even hope for some more to come, because the list in my
head of what I want to visualize is still quite long. But I'm also
aware that a uniform, common standard is important for the further
development of this great idea.

What's your opinion on this matter? How should MapCSS develop further?

best regards,
Martin

[1] http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Styles/Lane_and_Road_Attributes