[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Andrew Shadura bugzilla at tut.by
Mon Mar 4 19:06:28 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:04:48 +0100
Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> But now I'm curious how MapCSS will further develop. If each MapCSS
> renderer implements extensions on its own I'm afraid it will lead to
> JOSM-MapCSS, Halcyon-MapCSS, Potlatch-MapCSS, ... and we will end up
> with a lot of incompatible style sheets. This reminds me of the
> internet just a few years ago and (I think I can speak for the
> majority here) we definitively don't want to go back there.

Well, I haven't been involved in MapCSS development lately, but took
some part in the beginning of 0.2 and helped to develop it, and one of
its parsers, now unused unfortunately.

I'm not particularly happy with what's happening with MapCSS. It's
understandable when certain software doesn't implement some features,
as sometimes there may be technical or other obstacles for that. When
features are implemented a very different way, or implemented without
priop discussions, this leads to chaos. And that's what we have now.

In my opinion, JOSM implements MapCSS in a very bad way, and its
extensions are extremly non-systematic and against the spirit of
CSS-like languages at all and MapCSS in particular. Function naming
is very strange and is not easily readable.

I think that it's a good time to put all information about various
extensions into one big table and try to unify and systematise them.

--
WBR, Andrew