[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 9 19:18:08 UTC 2013

On 03/09/2013 01:34 PM, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> Yes, we really do need to discuss things. If JOSM guys came here and
> said, we want to implement 'in' operation in selectors, and we want to
> use ~= syntax, I could tell them: why not just call it 'in' how it's
> done in other languages? Same for ^=, *=, $= — all of them could be
> implemented with a unified-style glob operation like this:
>
> highway *= "foo*"
> highway *= "*tway"
> highway *= "*ootwa*"
>
> In my opinion, it's much clearer and leaves possibility for other
> symbols to be used when needed. Actually, the only benefit of this
> glob-like operation or JOSM-style ^=/*=/$= is that it's usually faster
> than a regex... Which is basically when you can't precompile a regex
> beforehand; regexes are usually of the same speed when pre-compiled.

This is taken from the CSS specification / draft:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#attribute-selectors
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#attribute-substrings

I would agree that a glob notation is clearer and more intuitive, but so
far I've tried to respect the CSS syntax, unless there is a reason not to.

Paul