[MapRoulette] MapRoulette news

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Jul 9 21:37:56 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Another update on MapRoulette progress. I am getting ready to retire the
old MapRoulette, which is still live on maproulette.org. The new version,
which is now at http://maproulette.org:8080/ will move to
http://maproulette.org/.

If you are a Challenge author on the old MapRoulette, and you want your
challenge to live on, please check out the Challenge creation tutorial[1]
and re-create your challenge on the new version. Please let me know if you
need help.

Some of the latest changes in the recent beta are:
* Home page now shows challenges as centroid points
* Search enhanced with keywords (see [2] for details)
* Challenge authors can make their own Projects visible
* Metrics per challenge on Metrics page

Still coming (soon):
* More improvements to search
* Personal settings (base tile layer, default editor and more)
* Per-Challenge settings (default zoom level, tile layer, perhaps more)

If you want to start creating your own Challenges right away, please see
the tutorial[1]. I will also be giving a workshop on how to do this at SOTM
US and (hopefully) also at SOTM in Brussels.

Some new Challenges that have recently been added by mappers like you:
* Look at FIXMEs in Argentina: http://maproulette.org:8080/map/234/
* Add Sidewalks to major roads in San Francisco, USA:
http://maproulette.org:8080/map/228/
* Add Helipads to hospitals worldwide: http://maproulette.org:8080/map/227/

Lastly, if you read this on talk@ (sorry for xposting) and are interested
in MapRoulette, I recommend to also subscribe to
maproulette at openstreetmap.org

[1]
https://github.com/maproulette/maproulette2/wiki/Introducing-New-MapRoulette---Part-1.-Creating-and-Maintaining-Challenges

[2]