[Merkaartor] [OpenStreetMap] #1119: Ability to specify icon size in a style

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Aug 21 09:49:42 BST 2008

> My suggestion :
>
> Fixed size specified in pixels. This sets the minimum.
> Real length on the ground when drawing the icon. This sets the
> proportional size.
>
> For example, for a mcdonalds you could set Fixed = 4x4 and
> Proportional=30mx30m. Since you can reasonably assume a macdonalds to
> have that kind of a floorspace in reality on the ground there is nothing
> goin to interfere with that icon.

Mmm... Not too sure about that one. Do we really want the icon be the size
of the building?
Often, as in e.g. churches, we have an area for the building + a node for
the POI?
Additionally, in this instance, I map the POI at the actual entrance of the
building rather than in its middle (I don't know about the others). That
would produce undesirable effects where the icon would overlap the adjacent
roads.
But anyway, it's the same idea, just the stylers would have to be carefull.
OTOH, if we introduce the "proportionality" explicitly in meters, we should
do the same for roads as well.

> Btw. given my mistakes with the last release resulting in delays and
> what not, shall we aim for a shorter cycle this time? For example
> somewhere in september. And if so, shall we carry our own Webkit one
> more time?

The problem with shorter release cycle is that  we should each time allow
some weeks of stabilization and bug fixing. 2 weeks stabilization per month
is hardly feasible.

I was thinking about a system of weekly "nighties" or something like that.
That would be "alpha" releases, without warranty of stability, but allowing
the non-developers (basically windows and mac) users to use/test the latest
features...

- Chris -