[Merkaartor] Merkaartor Mobile

Alessandro Briosi tsdogs at briosix.org
Fri Aug 22 22:39:19 BST 2008

Hi all,

Chris Browet ha scritto:
> Merkaartor is Qt-based, so if Qtopia is source compatible with Qt 4.4.0,
> it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I tried once to compile a Qtopia app under Qt and I had to comment out
> some code because Qtopia has a bunch of classes dedicated to the mobile
> world.t
>
> I don't know about the Qt -> Qtopia way.

Once you know what's in and what's out it's only a matter of using some
defines to get it to build. Until 4.4 won't be released WebKit part
won't be supported.

As a first step I'd migrate the app to qt included in qtopia (which is a
stripped down version of qt), this way you could even use a PDA/PXA with
linux and qt-e only for Merkaartor (or wince(?), openmoko X server) and
then migrate to integrate with the qtopia "desktop".

> Fact is I don't own a Qtopia/openmoko phone, so It's quite hard to
> develop for it.
> Obviously, if someone give me one, I'd be more than happy to port
> Merkaartor to it :-)
>
> - Chris -

Actually there's not really a need to own a phone to do development,
simply use the qvfb and build for x86 target.

if you need further info or help let me know (not that I'm so expert,
but I have migrated a few apps to Qtopia).

Anyway, I really think that the point here is not really how to port,
but  what functionalities Merkaartor Mobile should include. Don't really
think that drawing roads with a phone is that much of a usable feature,
though editing street names/properties, adding pois, or traking whould
be a great tool.

Alessandro