[Merkaartor] Upload error "Precondition failed"

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu Sep 11 12:43:14 BST 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Chris Browet wrote:

> Make it the other way round. The default should be fully translated
> applications. A partly translated software is usally of no use and only a
> minimal subset of users really wants this (at the moment the I'm used to
> it OSM'lers and nobody else).

Could you fix your mailing agent to use proper quoting? It is very
hard hard to follow your replys.

> Dirk, we already had this discussion.

Yes and it seems you still misunderstand what is translated.

> IMO, we should present the tags as they will be uploaded. Translations
> are for the GUI. Tags are part of the OSM system and shouldn't be
> translated.

They aren't translated. Why do you think they are? What is translated are
the merkaartor interpretations of the tags - i.e. the parts in the
merkaartor selection dialogs. The tag display below always stays as it
is.

E.G. I choose "Nutzung" to be "Parkplatz" and the tags will show "amenity"
is "parking". This is a normal separation between user interface (the
combo boxes) and data (the tags).

Nobody votes (at least I do not) to have translations of the tags, as
a) this is imposible, as tags are freeform and
b) would lead to complicated code and much confusion.

I really do not understand, why especially the preset part of GUI should
be left out? Why force my father as non-englisch speaker to find out that
he needs to set amenity to parking, when he wants a "Parkplatz"? Only to
support a minority of people, to keep to their "I'm used to english"
style? And BTW these I'm used to english people don't need to look at the
merkaartor selection dialogs, as the english text IS DISPLAYED AS WELL
in the tags. Why is there a seperation between tag display and merkaartor
selections at all, when you want to have them identical? You can remove
the interpretation than and add a drop-down to the tag list.

Ciao