[Moderation] How goes?

Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Nov 4 17:33:55 GMT 2009

Peter Miller wrote:
> People are continuing to spot vandalism and funny edits around the
> world - See this post on talk-gb today.[a1]

> [1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2009-November/004942.html

Near me at least, there are now lots more mappers, and they seem to be
doing the stuff that I don't do a good job of (urban stuff, cycleways),
and making a good job of it, so there isn't really much to complain about.

There is still (as of mid-Oct) one series of "sub-optimal edits" being
made, but often these just seem to be poor quality edits than anything
worse.  For example, there are ways 42204386, 42204406 and 42204409.  As
well as not been drawn very accurately (e.g. residential roads don't
join any others when zoomed in) these are actually also exact
duplicates.  I've not tried to fix anything here because frankly the
whole area needs someone to walk around it with a GPS, but there are
many similar places nearer home that also need doing first!  Some people
are having a go at tidying some of these issues (to whom I say thanks!),
but after one depressing evening hunting road signs in Mansfield I gave
up on that idea.

I've looked through the series of changesets associated with those ways
and most of it's either "new stuff that could probably do to be drawn
better" or changes from e.g. Tertiary to Unclassified that are arguable
either way.  Another example is way 40980006 - it is probably wrong (it
doesn't agree with the Yahoo background) but again really needs someone
on the ground to check it.

 > Would it be worth reviewing what moderation tools under development
 > or already available

In this case the user edits tab and ITOWorld's OSM Mapper (again, for
which - thanks!) are enough to show what's happening, but the reason why
things haven't been fixed is that often it's not obvious what to fix
stuff _to_.