[OSM-newbies] accuracy

Francis Augusto Medeiros francis at mgate.com.br
Tue Mar 13 01:12:03 GMT 2007

Folks,

See, I have a GPX file with ALL tracks of the entire city - I got it
from the city hall. However, I find that the GPX tracks I collect my
self differs from those I've got from the city hall - around 5 meters
at most. I kinda trust my tracks, because I've passed through them 3x
or more, so I'd expect them to be very accurate. So, can I trace the
average of my tracks and those on the city hall's GPX file? It feels
more accurate doing so, but I could trace only using my tracks, using
the other ones just as reference... What would be your advice?

In some points, there's almost no difference, but on anothers it gets
to 6-8 meters, so I don't know in which to trust - mine or theirs.

Here are some screenshots:

http://www.mgate.com.br/francis/josm1.png
http://www.mgate.com.br/francis/josm2.png

The 100% straight lines are theirs, mine are the dotted ones.

Cheers,

Francis