[OSM-newbies] JOSM beginner

Thu Mar 22 09:36:40 GMT 2007

Lars wrote:

> When I start JOSM, I can open a local GPX or OSM file, and the
> visual area will be zoomed in to cover that part of the map.  But
> if I don't have a local file, and instead I only want to download
> data from the server, how do I specify the right coordinates?
> Am I supposed to know the latitude and longitude by numbers?

I usually resort to one of two low-tech ways: either navigate to the
right place in the slippy map (and click 'View' for the lat/long to
appear in the URL), or simply Google for, say, "Uppingham latitude
longitude". Then copy into the relevant boxes in JOSM.

It's not ideal, I agree. We need a search API:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/281
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/337

> After I have edited the map and successfully uploaded the new ways
> to the server, what happens next?  I guess I should get involved
> in Tiles at Home to help updating the Osmarender tiles?  Is there any
> queue where I can watch my changes turn into tiles?  How long does
> it take on average?

I'm a newbie when it comes to T at H, too, but afaik:
- T at H uses the API, not via planet, so updates should be fairly quick;
- you can watch the queue at http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Log/Requests/

Incidentally, are you coming to State of the Map?

cheers
Richard