[OSM-newbies] GPS receiver recommendation

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Mar 22 18:37:46 GMT 2007

Robert Hart wrote:

> > Can anyone give me some recommendations as to what type I should be
> > looking at? Thanks very much in advance.
>
> I had a basic Garmin eTrex for a long time, which was relatively cheap,

I think you will be happy with your 3rd GPS receiver, so you
should quickly buy your first, as cheap as you can.  Try to get a
traditional Garmin eTrex or Foretrex or Geko on eBay or something
like that.  Don't spend more than 100 euros, and aim to buy
another unit within 6 months.  This enables you to contribute to
OSM and also to play around with Geocaching, geotag your digital
photos and much more, while you gather invaluable *experience* at
a very cheap price.  Make sure the PC cable is included.

I just heard that this years' CeBIT expo had an entire hall just
for navigators.  Has anybody been there and seen anything new?
The news at CeBIT are the things you can buy 6 months from now.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)