[OSM-newbies] GPS receiver recommendation

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Thu Mar 22 14:39:00 GMT 2007

> Can anyone give me some recommendations as to what type I should be
> looking at? Thanks very much in advance.

I had a basic Garmin eTrex for a long time, which was relatively cheap,
waterproof, reasonable on battery life. The only downside was that it
has a limited memory for track points (can't really do more than one
day's mapping) and takes forever to read the data over a serial port.

I've upgraded to a Garmin eTrex Legend CX, which has the advantage of
USB interface, and microSD card for storing points. Also it can display
a basemap (which you can create from OSM data), which is very handy for
filling in the gaps and otherwise checking previous data.

Both work fine under Linux, using GPSBabel. The CX series can also be
put into USB-mass storage mode to read data from the card.

Rob

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/garmin-etrex-legend-cx-descrip
tion.html?PHPSESSID=a7adf3df1d491f23874cbdd6c15172a0

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com