[OSM-newbies] GPS receiver recommendation

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Mar 23 16:36:34 GMT 2007

Sorry if this is messed up, should have selected MIME digests, not plain
text ones.

> I had a Vista, which worked, and now have a Vista Cx which doesn't; gpsbabel
> times out (I'm working on the why...).
> It took me a fair while to work out that it uses /dev/ttyUSB, as the
> instructions I had said otherwise, but now I can get Unit ID, & waypoints to
> & fro, + mass storage mode. Downloading tracks just doesn't work for me; it
> doesn't even give a consistent error, alternating between 2 messages on
> subsequent tries. gpstrans has a similar problem, but hangs after receiving
> waypoints as well.
> I keep meaning to try Mapsource with WINE.

I have a Vista Cx as well.  On mine, I have it log points to the card
itself, which is set up from Tracks > Setup > Data Card Setup.  The
tracks can then be transferred using mass storage mode.
--
Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>