[OSM-newbies] Understanding tiles

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 07:48:47 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 Mar 2007 21:46, SteveC wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_Map#Mapnik_tile_rendering

Yup, read that..

> > Perhaps the slippy map could provide a link (another tab?) that
> > explains the current state of tile rendering at the current point?

It does, but that says (of
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=51.558365157637&lon=0.409204035997391&zoom=14 )

Tile created at 2007-03-21 18:41:31
tile is awaiting re-render: 0

& I've put in some ;) work on this tile last week. It shows on Osmarender
tiles, & has done all week; admittedly with holes as I go up the learning
curve, but the Mapnik show no change whatever.

Clearing my cache gets me a server error when I try the view image / status.

I suspect that I have a cached old image, the server gave me a new status when
it could & has now run out of puff, but Firefox was using that old cache when
it couldn't get through?

So, I guess it's worth trying the clear cache (prefs, advanced) if you think
your tile should be there now.

Mark
Old hand of about 1 week....