[OSM-newbies] Private roads.

graham graham at theseamans.net
Sun Nov 4 00:21:27 GMT 2007

Andy Allan wrote:
> On 11/3/07, Damp Dog <dampdog at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>  I've just started mapping and wondered is there any way to describe private
>> roads?
>
> Yep, tag them as you normally would, and add the appropriate access
> restrictions from
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_features#Restrictions

But be careful with this: if your private roads are like the ones in my
area, the sign 'private' usually just means that they are not maintained
by the council; access is open to anyone, and the sign 'private' is
meant to discourage people from parking rather than stop them driving in
the road. A bit like the old 'polite notice' signs, meant to look like
'police notice' to a casual reader.

Of course some private roads are gated or have some kind of guard on
them, and there access really is restricted.

Andy, what do you do about roads which are private but have unrestricted
access?

Graham