[OSM-newbies] sport=golf vs. leisure=golf_course

Þórir Már Jónsson thorirj at isavia.is
Tue Nov 6 16:46:07 GMT 2007

-----newbies-bounces at openstreetmap.org wrote: -----

To: "David Groom" <reviews at pacific-rim.net>, newbies at openstreetmap.org
From: "Andy Allan" <gravitystorm at gmail.com>
Sent by: newbies-bounces at openstreetmap.org
Date: 06/11/2007 16:25
Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] sport=golf vs. leisure=golf_course

On 11/6/07, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:

> [...]

I think the latter is intended for tagging onto a stadium or facility,
whereas the former is for landuse. I could imagine a list of valid
sports, rendering as a row of icons (of a golfer, a rugby ball, a
tennis bat and so on), for a health club or similar.

Cheers,
Andy

Would it not be better to have sport=golf (or leisure=golf_course)rendered as an icon when placed on a single node, and rendered as an area when it's applied to an area.  Having two different tags with such a similar meaning seems redundant to me.

(I've cc'd this massage to talk at openstreetmap.org and suggest we move further discussion of this subject there).

Cheers,
Þórir Már