[OSM-newbies] sport=golf vs. leisure=golf_course

Damp Dog dampdog at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 14:29:01 GMT 2007

> How should residential streets which split but retain same street name be
> handled.

I'm new too, but I think you just put them in as separate ways with the same name.

> Doesn't seem
> appropriate from a database perspective to have two features that are the
> same thing.

It might cause issues especially for renderers but it seems to be what's done and the renderers cope pretty well.
You are encouraged to split long roads eg Motorways into smaller ways instead of having a huge way that runs for hundreds of miles.

There are lots of completely separate roads with the same name anyway so there's no way we could expect the road name to be unique - I've got nearly 500 Station Roads in my old copy of the UK map.

You even have to put dual carriage ways in as two separate ways with the same name, (this does cause the Osmarenderer issues where you get labels rendered for each carriage way which overlap).