[OSM-newbies] Introduction From Stockton, California Mapper

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Fri Apr 18 21:02:00 BST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 19:58:46 Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> I want to make a quick introduction. I hope to get started with
> contributions to Open Street Map in the next few weeks. I'm located in
> Stockton, California. I'll be performing most of my mapping there,
> with a little mapping in the Sierra Nevada during the summer months.

Welcome!

> I work as a Land Surveyor and as a volunteer programmer for the open
> source GIS program OpenJUMP, so I really enjoy mapping a great deal
> already!
>
> I read through the FAQ, but I still have a couple of unanswered
> questions. I thought this would be a good place to ask those
> questions.
>
> [1] How do I find out if there are other mappers working in my area?

Go to your user page (e.g. mine is http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Milliams)
and you'll see there a map of the nearest 10 mappers to you. If you don't
have one, be sure to get one.

> [2] Is there a list of features that mappers should collect for Open
> Street Map? Is it only roads? What about other traveled routes? What
> about land marks like major structures?

You can tag anything you want but see below for explanation of the tagging
schemes. However, the things I tag include roads, footpaths, landuses ,
schools and of course pubs!

> [3] I see that you can associate tags with mapped features. Is there a
> standard set of tags? Where do I learn more about this?

There is a set of 'commonly accepted' tags but there is no official or
enforced set. The commonly accepted tags can be found at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features but remember that you
can tag things however you want. However, pretty much only the tags on that
page will show up on the two major renderers.

> [4] Is there a place to look at OSM mash-ups? I'd be especially
> interested in the type of tool that allows people to manage metadata
> about their mapping efforts, or to associate photos and other
> supplemental data with the features they map. Has there been work done
> in this area?

Browse around the wiki or wait for people to reply to your email here showing
off the work they've done :)

> I think that will get me started. :] If there is another OSM mapper in
> Stockton, I'll see if I can get in touch with them for more direct
> help and coordination of local mapping efforts.
>
> The Sunburned Surveyor

Matt Williams (the distinctly unsuntanned surveyor)