[OSM-newbies] postcodes, housenames, speed limits

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:33:31 BST 2008

Simon Ward wrote:
>Sent: 24 April 2008 10:32 AM
>To: newbies at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] postcodes, housenames, speed limits
>
>On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:10:39AM +0100, Simon Ward wrote:
>> > I was expecting someone to point this out. My take is that the root tag
>is
>> > the the highway and it has a number of lanes, not all of them
>necessarily
>> > used.
>>
>> This also fits with the turn restrictions proposal where they represent
>> logical/statutory restrictions as opposed to those that make physical
>> access difficult.
>
>I now also see the flaw in my comment, which is that lanes are mostly
>just defined by markings on the road.  You are free to drive across the
>markings, or zig zag across the road as people sometimes do. :)

Indeed, on a sideways point to this I have been for some time making the
little split way from/to a roundabout (either side of the traffic island) as
a single three node way with the central node being connected to the road
leading away from the roundabout and the two ends being connected to the
roundabout itself.

Of course this is all fine and dandy for quick map editing and looks normal
on the rendering, but for routing it implies you can simply u-turn around
the traffic island at this point, which in reality is probably unadvisable
;-)

Its clear that we need the routing aficionados to get out there and tag up
some data appropriately for their needs so that we can all see the best way
draw and to tag stuff for it. Presently I ignore navigational aspects
entirely when mapping other than noting one way streets, traffic lights and
physical obstructions.

Cheers

Andy