[OSM-newbies] Making Garmin eTrex Vista responsive to a Linux system

Andy Street mail at andystreet.me.uk
Fri Dec 26 21:51:16 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 09:12 +0100, Johannes Huesing wrote:
> The system still reacts to my gpsbabel approaches
>
> gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F blah.gpx
>
> with
>
> usb_set_configuration failed, probably because kernel driver ''
>  is blocking our access to the USB device.
> For more information see http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html

I came across this issue when I first started using my Vista HCx with
Ubuntu 8.04. I never got round to finding the exact cause as the
internal memory was too small for more than a couple of hours of logging
at 1Hz so I switched to using an SD card and the mass storage interface.

The workaround I found was to run gpsbabel as root so the problem is
probably related to the device permissions.

Regards,

Andy