[OSM-newbies] Different maxspeed in different directions

Alberto Nogaro bartosomail at yahoo.it
Sun Dec 28 09:16:10 GMT 2008

As far as I know, there's no established solution yet.  You can find a draft
for a proposed solution on:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/One_way_restrictions

I have also been suggested to use a ':' delimited 'forward/backward' or
'right/left' specifier in the tag name, like:

Maxspeed:forward =*

Some users tend to oppose this kind of tagging, as they deem it might lead
to errors when a way direction is reversed without caring of adjusting those
tags. I think a check to assist correct way reversal could be implemented in
the editors. As we are talking about side dependent features, I can't
imagine how an explicit reference to the side could be avoided. The use of
proposed Segmented Tag just moves the direction information from a way tag
to a relation tag.