[OSM-newbies] Trunk and primary roads in Britain

David Ebling dave_ebling at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 12:48:56 GMT 2008

Mike,

I don't believe that all A roads will be re-signed with green signs. There is still a distinction between (former) trunk roads and other A-roads. Green signed roads are generally more important roads, and usually built to a better standard.

I think the current OSM situation is far more sensible than tagging roads according to who maintains them, which is far harder to ascertain, and of little interest to people reading maps.

Most other maps I've seen are similar to OSM (eg http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idl.srf?X=301500&Y=525500&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1 for OS) or have a totally arbitrary mix of colours for green-signed roads, which often make no sense. (eg http://www.multimap.com/s/B2JuJ4Qw)

cf OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.6127&lon=-3.5277&zoom=14&layers=0B00FTF

Regards,

David