[OSM-newbies] moving around the map while at a particular zoom?

Rob Reid rob at robreid.co.nz
Sun Feb 17 19:07:12 GMT 2008

Terra Frost wrote the following on 18/02/2008 07:19:
> In Google Maps, when you're at a particular zoom, you can move left or
> right with either the directional keypad or by moving the mouse. Can
> this be done with JSOM?
Scrolling in JOSM is done with Ctrl key and arrow keys.

> Also, would it be possible to view data with JSOM in the same manner
> that openstreetmap.org <http://openstreetmap.org> does?
>
> My goal is to be able to put this information onto a GPS enabled PDA.
> I could download all the data for a particular US state onto my PDA,
> but (1) I don't have enough memory for this and (2) I'm only
> interested in one city, anyway.  As such, I'm trying to use JSOM to
> grab the specific parts I'm interested in, but I'd like to be able to
> preview what I have before putting it onto my PDA.  Right now, it
> doesn't even seem to show roadnames, and even if it did, it'd be of
> limited usefulness given that I can't move around at a particular zoom.
Josm has not really been designed as a full wysiwyg editor but you can
try and modify the style using mappaint which is now integrated into
JOSM rather than being a plugin.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mappaint

If you are going to be pulling the data regularly then I would
investigate using osmxapi and specifying a bounding box.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmxapi

For previewing an osm file locally you could have a look at Kosmos.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Kosmos
It is primarily windows based but there some recent discussion on using
it on linux
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-February/023190.html

But as Andy says, have a look through the wiki for your details about
your specific type of PDA, a lot of the work may already be done for you.

Cheers

rcr