[OSM-newbies] Interfacing with Garmin eTrex

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:58:25 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 12:49:52 Andy Allan wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008 12:42 PM, ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > This is my first effort, using a borrowed eTrex.  I have my first track
> > > on the gps, and have bought a RS232 to USB interface as my laptop
> > > doesn't have a serial port.  My OS is Linux.
> > >
> > :-)
> > :
> > > I have set the interface to NMEA OUT - I think someone told me this was
> > > best, but I can't find where I read it.
> >
> > No. Set it to Garmin.
> >
> > I suggest that you install gpsbabel - that will enable you to collect
> > tracks etc with a command like
> >   gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyS1  -o gpx -F track.gpx
>
> There's a nice little script on the wiki to wrap around gpsbabel and
> makes things more userfriendly:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/How_to_get_data_from_a_Geko_201#For
>_Linux
>
> I used to use it until I got an SD card for my Venture Cx.

Hmm - I have just one .gpx file, and it looks as though it is listing points
(I've only seen it in a text editor so far).  I used

gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0  -o gpx -F track1.gpx

to get the file.  The script for Gecko seems to run two separate commands, one
with -t and one with -i.  Should I do that instead of the existing one?

Anne