[OSM-newbies] Conflict Resolution Question

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:27:31 GMT 2008

2008/11/1 Hilton Long <seldom.seen at verizon.net>:
> Last week, I uploaded a park outline for the Grand Canyon  My outline way
> was a gpx generated from a Tiger shape file.  It was tagged as leisure=park,
> name=Grand Canyon National Park, source=Tiger Area Files.

Leisure=park doesn't seem the correct tag for this based on my
experience of the use of the tag - its usually for smaller municipal
parks rather than a large 'conservation area' as national parks often
are. I can't suggest a better one other than boundary=national_park as
below

> Mapnik seems to like it, because it is now showing a park boundary.
>
> I noticed another outline started a month earlier, but it wasn't closed.  It
> is tagged boundary=national_park, leisure=park, name=Grand Canyon National
> Park.  I've emailed the author twice, but he hasn't responded.
>
> In the absence of a response from him, what is the accepted procedure for
> resolving this sort of conflict?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hilton

Which of the two is most correct, if the original has a greater
accuracy over one section, you could try and merge the two into a more
accurate polygon.
If neither is of better locational accuracy, just delete the
least-complete one, copying over tags if applicable.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood