[OSM-newbies] open-source project & close-source tools

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Sat Nov 22 18:21:18 GMT 2008

Hi!

Few days ago I found out about OSM project and became delighted seeing
there is hope to use some open-source stuff on my upcoming Garmin 76CSx
which will be my 1st GPS device.

I downloaded and built few apps like QlandkarteGT, Merkaartor, Viking,
GPSBabel...and tried tools like wonderful mkgmap for which I provided
build script for my ArchLinux distro (see
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21637)

However I notice that many of the tools referenced in OSM wiki are
written in Java and there are still quite a few applications which are
not open-sourced (e.g. OSM Composer) and that's why wonder:

1) is there some specific attraction to Java over other programming
languages for OSM tools?

(I am learning Python and will use Haskell for some project, so will try
to contribute to OSM in those language,s but nothing this year.)

2) how is it that the people are writing stuff for open-source project
and do not open the source code? It's kind a strange thing...

3) it would be nice to have the whole arsenal of tools available as
open-source and Linux-ready without the need to fiddle with Wine
emulator and proprietary/shareware tools...

Anyway, I'm waiting for my GPS device to arrive and in the spring time
i'll move from Zagreb to northern part of Croatia an hope to contribute
my 'share' to OSM community with some tracks/maps...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D