[OSM-newbies] rivers, roads, and bridges ...

Robert Helvie alimamo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 02:21:11 GMT 2008

Hi,

There is a lot of blank canvas where I am mapping (South Korea) and I was
just wondering about a few points.

It is pretty obvious that you need to make a section of the way into a
bridge if you have something like a road rising over train tracks, a road
dipping below train tracks, one road rising or dipping over/under the other,
flyovers, and actual bridges over major rivers.

But is it really necessary (or at least what is the common practice) to
create bridges for roads that cross minor rivers or streams with no rise, or
where the water just passes under the road in a couple of box culverts?

It is obvious on a render that a river and road don't connect, but is there
some necessity for a bridge due to (future?) rendering conditions or
possible routing software? Or would the use of the "layer" tag be good
enough? (Though how to implement the layer tag is still a bit muddy to me.
[Water related pun intended.] )

Also, one other point ... Until very recently, most streets here didn't
actually have names. Even now, the names may be unknown to even the locals
and finding street signs can be hit or miss. I will be going back and naming
the ways at later dates if and when I come across street names.

But my real question about naming is, in Korea, major
intersections/junctions are used to provide directions to people and
consequently ARE often named. Do you think I should go ahead and name
intersections? If so, in a general opinion, what would be the best way to do
that? A separate named POI, or should I just actually name the intersection
node? Would a named node be useful to routing software?

I am just looking for some facts, thoughts or ideas from folks and
especially veteran mappers.

Thanks

alimamo (Robert)