[OSM-newbies] rivers, roads, and bridges ...

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Thu Oct 30 07:51:24 GMT 2008

El Jueves, 30 de Octubre de 2008, Robert Helvie escribió:
> It is obvious on a render that a river and road don't connect, but is there
> some necessity for a bridge due to (future?) rendering conditions or
> possible routing software?

There is no "need" to put the bridge, but it would be nice to have it anyway.

> But my real question about naming is, in Korea, major
> intersections/junctions are used to provide directions to people and
> consequently ARE often named. Do you think I should go ahead and name
> intersections? If so, in a general opinion, what would be the best way to
> do that? A separate named POI, or should I just actually name the
> intersection node? Would a named node be useful to routing software?

Hmmm. That's a good one.

AFAIK, some other south-asian countries also don't have names for the streets,
and landmarks are used. I think the indian OSM guys were researching into
some kind of method for "landmark-based navigation". You should try and
contact them for ideas about that.

On the other hand, you can also be bold and propose a tag for named crossings.
Maybe tag the nodes as junction=crossing and name=whatever (definitely name
the nodes, and know that naming them would be useful than not naming them).
Maybe write to the general mailing list about it.

Cheers,
--

Sexagenaria: Ciencia que se encarga del estudio del Sexo.