[OSM-newbies] GPS to display OSM maps

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Tue Jan 6 16:02:05 GMT 2009

I'd like some advice on which GPS to buy.

I've been mapping for some time with a Navi GPS, and I'm reasonably
happy with it, but I thought I might spend my Christmas bonus on a new
GPS. The following is my wish list, in no particular order. I don't
even know if some of them are possible.

- Colour screen able to display OSM maps (using something like Mkgmap [1])
- Long waypoint names - the six-character limit on the Navi is very
frustrating when collecting postcodes ;-)
- It would be nice to be able to store multiple track logs, giving
each one a name (I don't know if *any* GPS can do this, but I figured
it's worth an ask)
- Being able to get data on/off the device from Linux. According to
the Mkgmap page, Garmin models such as the Legend Cx can be set to
appear as a USB drive on Linux, which would be ideal
- Either plenty of on-board storage, or a card slot (ideally an SD
slot, as I've already got SD cards)
- Better accuracy than the Navi, especially in built-up areas

I'm looking at a price range of about £100-£150. Can anyone recommend anything?

Russ

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap