[OSM-newbies] GPS to display OSM maps

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Wed Jan 7 11:16:42 GMT 2009

2009/1/6 Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I reckon you want something like the Legend HCx...

Thanks, that does look ideal.

>> - It would be nice to be able to store multiple track logs, giving
>> each one a name (I don't know if *any* GPS can do this, but I figured
>> it's worth an ask)
>
> If you log to card (and you will) then your traces will be named
> according to the date logged. Not exactly what you ask for, but easy
> enough to work with.

My idea was that it'd be nice to be able to name a track according to
what I was logging on (ie I might name a track "Footpath" or
"Cycleway"), but it's not a big deal. I've had a look at the manual,
and it says that tracks recorded to micro SD card are GPX format, so
at least I won't have to bother converting them.

>> - Being able to get data on/off the device from Linux. According to
>> the Mkgmap page, Garmin models such as the Legend Cx can be set to
>> appear as a USB drive on Linux, which would be ideal
>
> Yes - the Garmin Legends, Vistas and others will do this, but be aware
> that some models (including recent ones) won't present their traces so
> readily as gpx on mass storage. Legends and Vistas do exactly what you
> describe, so long as you log to card.

I have a multi-card reader, so I'll probably just put the card in that
to get the tracks off the card. I might use the USB connection to get
waypoints, though.

Just out of interest, how are traces presented on mass storage? Is it
some other format, and if so, is it a format that gpsbabel can convert
to GPX?

>> I'm looking at a price range of about £100-£150. Can anyone recommend anything?
>
> Hmm, that's worth about €90 these days IIRC... ;)
>
> Try Ebay. Garmin US imports, in particular, can go for good prices
> (grey imports are often sold by European sellers), and the lack of a
> local basemap won't worry you for OSM use.

Amazon have them for £133.04, Ebay doesn't seem to be a great deal
cheaper. If I buy via the link on the OSM wiki's shop page, then OSM
will get 5% of what I spend :-)

Russ