[OSM-newbies] GPS to display OSM maps

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jan 7 23:57:01 GMT 2009

Russ Phillips writes:
> I have a multi-card reader, so I'll probably just put the card in that
> to get the tracks off the card. I might use the USB connection to get
> waypoints, though.
>
> Just out of interest, how are traces presented on mass storage? Is it
> some other format, and if so, is it a format that gpsbabel can convert
> to GPX?

With my Vista CX, gpsbabel has no trouble creating gpx from whatever
it sees on the Vista. With the unit *not* in mass storage mode
(since I can't get waypoints if it's in that mode), I do:
  gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F waypoints.gpx
  gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F tracklog.gpx

> Amazon have them for £133.04, Ebay doesn't seem to be a great deal
> cheaper. If I buy via the link on the OSM wiki's shop page, then OSM
> will get 5% of what I spend :-)

I found the same thing -- Amazon and ebay prices were almost
identical, though being in the US I didn't have the option of
using the OSM Amazon store.

	...Akkana