[OSM-newbies] Routing issue

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Tue Jan 13 10:09:45 GMT 2009

Are you able to send a permalink showing the footpath so we can look
at the tagging. If it is tagged highway=footway and there is not a
car permission tag then I would say routing a car along it is a bug
in the yournavigation website rather than anything you’ve done. The
additional foot=yes I don’t believe is necessary, though I think one
of the popular editors (can’t remember whether it was Potlatch or
JOSM as I switch between them depending what I’m mapping) adds it as
a default when you select footway.

With regards roundabouts, I take it from your post you are in the
UK. When mapping larger roundabouts (tagged junction=roundabout) the
direction it is drawn indicates the one-way direction of the
junction. The direction is as indicated by the arrows in JOSM or the
little roundabout symbol bottom left in Potlatch.

In the case of mini-roundabouts (where a node is tagged as
highway=mini_roundabout, if I remember correctly) these need the tag
direction=clockwise adding in the UK, as the default is
anti-clockwise. If you look at the Osmarender layer at
www.openstreetmap.org then when you have zoomed in far enough you
can tell the direction of the roundabouts by how they are rendered.
Picking a random example somewhere in the UK, the two here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.06324
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.06324&lon=-2.7183&zoom=16&laye
rs=0B00FTF> &lon=-2.7183&zoom=16&layers=0B00FTF

are both correctly tagged with the direction tag.

I hope this helps

Ed