[OSM-newbies] Routing issue

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:44:50 GMT 2009

Bob Hawkins a scris:
> I am concerned that a route from my home by car in http://www.yournavigation.org/
> takes me across a local footpath that I added in JOSM with the tags foot = yes and highway = footway
> (I think I put in the additional foot = yes because, being new to OSM mapping then, other paths
> already in the area were so designated.).
> If this is incorrect

It is incorrect for the routing algorithm to use that path if the
routing was done for car traveling. This seems like a bug in the router,
but the actual route should be provided to better judge the case.

> or insufficient to avoid a route by car using such links, I must change all
> I have done to date, which is quite considerable in my local area.
> I should appreciate some advice.

One of the first advices you generally get as a OSM newbie is "do not
tag for a renderer", I guess it should/could be expanded to:

"do not tag incorrectly for a certain renderer/tool to work as you'd
like, but instead report the bug of that tool."

Please provide a Permalink to the route you're seeing (see the
calculated, right under "Length").

> I notice, too, that in obtaining a route over a longer distance,
> it sometimes appears to go around roundabouts to the right instead of left,
> with turn instructions accordingly incorrect.

Generally that is due to incorrect underlaying data, again, a permalink
to a minimal route that shows the problem is what's needed.

> Clearly, routing highlights many issues which we who enter data into
> OpenStreetMap might not be aware of.

Indeed.

>  Is there specific advice written anywhere?

Not that I know of, but you should make sure the data is correctly tagged.

--
Regards,
EddyP