[OSM-newbies] Routing issue

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:39:43 GMT 2009

I think that there may be some purpose in tagging foot=yes as well as
highway=footway - but I'm not sure. I'm not clear that highway=footway
implies foot=yes as default (rather than foot=permissive, foot=no, etc.) -
and it might be a little dangerous if it did as "foot=yes" is recommended by
the wiki for UK public rights of way where this is a legal right to walk on
a footway. There is an argument for using foot=designated - but this is not
what the wiki says - and it seems to imply that the way is designed
primarily for walkers - whereas foot=yes can equally be used on public
bridleways, cycleways (whatever they are!) and restricted byways where the
way may be built to a standard allowing higher rights but these do not
exclude walkers and do not imply and priority as between different types of
user. The whole area is a little unclear - to me at least!

Thanks for the tip  regarding the sense of travel on roundabouts - it's
obvious - but only when it's pointed out! (:>)

Mike Harris

  _____