[OSM-newbies] Downloading specific OSM area to JOSM

Bob Hawkins bobhawkins at waitrose.com
Mon Jan 19 20:13:26 GMT 2009

I have been testing routes using both the OpenStreetMap Routing Service, and my Garmin Legend HCx with a .img file downloaded from http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html.  I am sure many OSMappers would agree routing is an excellent way to find errors in the data.  I noticed particularly the numbers of roundabouts in my part of England showing the route anti-clockwise instead of clockwise.  This makes a nonsense, of course, for any written or verbal instructions.  All I wish to do is reverse the way for a particular roundabout if the directional arrows are incorrect.  I am interested to know the best method that users recommend to quickly open JOSM in the immediate area of each roundabout in turn so that I might execute this simple task.  I have located an area in the Slippy map and zoomed in close, but sometimes I get a 'Data not imported' message or the same downloaded area as my previous selection.  I have even closed JOSM and reopened it and get the same download area.  Clearly, I am doing something wrong and should appreciate some assistance.