[OSM-newbies] Imagery Updates, Routable Maps, Potlatch Qs

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Fri Jul 3 07:03:05 BST 2009

El Viernes, 3 de Julio de 2009, Chirag Patel escribió:
> 1) The Yahoo! imagery in use is from 2006 - in a fast developing nation
> like India - the roads and infrastructure is fast changing. Is OSM looking
> into deploying updated imagery any time soon?

OSM cannot deploy Y! imagery.

> 2) In the Potlatch 1.0 editor - there does not seem to be a way to specify
> a road/street as being bi-directional

Do *NOT* include the tag oneway=yes. All roads are meant to be two-ways unless
it's marked as oneway=yes.

The oneway=no tag is usually not needed, but you may use it anyway if you want
to make extra sure that the road will be treated as two-ways.

For more info, check the "Map Features" page in the OSM wiki, and look
for "oneway".

> 3) Being a new contributor - I am still not 100% sure about the accuracy of
> what I am doing.

No need to worry ;-)

> [...] Is there a software / website available where I can specify the 4
> coordinates and out comes a routable Garmin map?

No, as far as I know.

> 4) Alternatively, is there a process to take a CloudMade map for Garmin and
> make it routable (once I have downloaded the same)?

You can make your own routable maps for Garmin, but the process is not
straightforward.
Please read http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin .

> 5) I am new to Wiki as well... how do I get my name listed as one of the
> contributors for Ahmedabad city in India?

First, go to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_India#Primary_contributors

You'll see "[edit]" links at the right of every heading. Click on the one to
the left of "Primary contributors". Write "~~~" where you want to be added.
Click preview. If everything looks good, click save. If not, keep
experimenting for a little while ;-)

Cheers,
--

Your own qualities will help prevent your advancement in the world.