[OSM-newbies] Streets closed to vehicle traffic

Chris Mcnally chris.mcnally at pobox.com
Mon Jul 20 13:46:48 BST 2009

Hi, I need some advice.

Around the Financial district in Lower Manhattan, New York, many of the
former streets have become pedestrian only ways, at least for a portion
of them. Wall Street, for example, has sections that are pedestrian
only.  I've split the ways and labeled them highway=footway. Is this the
proper way to tag the ways?

There are other places where gates or movable bollards are set up to
block most traffic, but certain vehicles can go through. I've seen on
the features page that there are tags for gates, but should such a road
be classified differently as well?

Thanks in advance

chris mcnally