[OSM-newbies] Tunisia: converting highway=unclassified to highway=road for sketches from aerial imagery

Joe Richards joefish75 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 23:08:44 BST 2009

>> I've inadvertently made many of the streets/roads highway=unclassified only

>> to discover that this is not actually the most generic/vanilla tag, and
>> they should be highway=road for aerial sketches.  What's the best way to
>> convert any and all highway=unclassified ways into highway=road for that
>> area (without affecting non-highway ways, such as forests).
>
> JOSM has a search function (Ctrl-F) which lets you select all objects of one
> kind. You can then edit properties for all those objects at once.

It worked nicely, I was quite lucky though since my ways/nodes were all close to others from Yahoo aerial imagery, none from survey AFAIK... So I chose a suitable boundary area, then searched using things like:
type:way unclassified [username]

Where [username] was my username and other usernames who I had a strong suspicion had also been sketching from aerial imagery in the area.  Now to see how 'road' renders (hopefully thinner)