[OSM-newbies] service:alley or highway:residential?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 17:59:23 GMT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Udo Giacomozzi <udo.osm at nova-sys.net> wrote:
> Yes.
> highway:service comes close to it as the street provides access to
> (private) buildings.
>
> I'm just confused by the fact that there are other houses on both
> sides of the street. What if there was no courtyard on the end of the
> street? Would it be a residential highway in that case?
>
> Udo

If the road serves more than one house and these houses have different
addresses, then no, it is not a highway=service , at least in the
definition we have in Europe or in the wiki. Use the normal
highway=residential even if it is a cul-de-sac. If it is narrow, you
have other tags to indicate that.
Pieren