[OSM-newbies] service:alley or highway:residential?

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Sun Mar 15 19:47:51 GMT 2009

> Both fit somehow. It's like a normal residential street, but
> smaller
> and without an exit. People living there use the street to get
> their houses where they can park their cars on their private
> ground.

When I read your initial email I thought "I think this is down to
individual users, and could even include service=drive_way".

I then GPS traced some of Jaywick near here today and realised I was
mapping similar streets and had previously been tagging them as
highway=residential as it is a residential area and it is a street.
I had considered adding the width= tag (or est_width= tag) at some
point to show that the road was narrower than normal, but even
though current renderers probably don't then render the ways
differently it would still probably be the more correct way of
tagging the way.

But I'll read the rest of this thread with an open mind in case I
can be convinced otherwise.

Ed