[OSM-newbies] The BIG mapping picture

Ernst Radema Radema at xs4all.nl
Sat May 2 19:00:46 BST 2009

Hello all,

Before I'll be able to answer my own question -as is obviously the intention
of this newbies-list- I would like to ask for some information. Not on
mapping details or (dis)functioning software features o rprograms, but on
the BIG picture of the mapping process.

In other words, what is the full process along which a map is created ?

As far as my current knowledge goes the process must be something like this:

.         Recording of GPS-tracks as a collection of real word places.

.         Editing of GPS-tracks: conversion of points to map elements:
roads, canals, POI, etc.

o    Who decides and how is decided what all these points rare: eg in
Holland ( where I live ) you often encounter a canal, a street, a bike path
and a foot path next to each other.

.         Storage of all this information in a huge database (done in steps
1 and 2 )

.         Rendering of database information into visible map-images

o    What are OSMarender ( sounds like OpenStreetMaps ) and

o    Mapnik rendering ?

.         Tiling: maps are cut into tiles of 0,25 x 0,25 degrees on a
Tile-server.

.         Client request and presentation on a user interface

Is this -more- or less- how mapping Works? Is it completely else? Who has
more information, corrections, additions?

All reactions welcome (except for the flaming J) !

Ernst Radema

Amsterdam, The Netherlands