[OSM-newbies] The BIG mapping picture

Arlindo Pereira nighto at nighto.net
Sat May 2 21:34:32 BST 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 15:00, Ernst Radema <Radema at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Before I'll be able to answer my own question –as is obviously the intention
> of this newbies-list- I would like to ask for some information. Not on
> mapping details or (dis)functioning software features o rprograms, but on
> the BIG picture of the mapping process.
>

> In other words, what is the full process along which a map is created ?
>

> As far as my current knowledge goes the process must be something like this:
>

> ·         Recording of GPS-tracks as a collection of real word places.
>
> ·         Editing of GPS-tracks: conversion of points to map elements:
> roads, canals, POI, etc.

The first two steps could also be: Editing with Yahoo! Satelite images
(without looking to their Streets overlay!) or some copyright-free
images directly on Potlatch (which I do very often) or on JOSM (which
never worked for me, don't know why).

> o    Who decides and how is decided what all these points rare: eg in
> Holland ( where I live ) you often encounter a canal, a street, a bike path
> and a foot path next to each other.

As far as I know (I'm a newbie too! Please don't flame me if I'm wrong
about this!) you tag them all, and the renderer will do the rest
automatically. Also, you should never "tag for the renderer", for
example, draw a bike path away from the street just so they can appear
on the map if they are going together on the real world. The main
renderer for OSM can prefer roads to bike paths but that is just a
matter of stylesheeting, there are specific maps for specific needs,
such as OpenCycleMap for instance.

> ·         Storage of all this information in a huge database (done in steps
> 1 and 2 )
>
> ·         Rendering of database information into visible map-images
>
> o    What are OSMarender ( sounds like OpenStreetMaps ) and
>
> o    Mapnik rendering ?
>
> ·         Tiling: maps are cut into tiles of 0,25 x 0,25 degrees on a
> Tile-server.
>
> ·         Client request and presentation on a user interface
>

> Is this -more- or less- how mapping Works? Is it completely else? Who has
> more information, corrections, additions?
>

> All reactions welcome (except for the flaming J) !
>

> Ernst Radema
>
> Amsterdam, The Netherlands

- --
Arlindo Saraiva Pereira Jr.

Bacharelando em Sistemas de Informação - UNIRIO - uniriotec.br
Consultor de Software Livre da UNIRIOTEC Consultoria - uniriotec.com

Acadêmico: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.br
Profissional: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.com
Geral: contato at arlindopereira.com
Tel.: +5521 92504072